Statement of Faith
Tri Counties Home Education Network (TCHEN)
Statement of Faith
- We believe in one, holy, living and true God, the creator and sustainer of heaven and earth, and the maker of all things, Who eternally exists in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that the creation of the heavens and the earth and of all living creatures, including man, encompassed six literal days according to the Scriptures.
- We believe in the full deity and true humanity of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God and God, the Son, Who, although eternally pre- and co-existent with the Father and the Spirit, took upon Himself a human nature through the virgin birth for the purpose of redeeming lost sinners through His atoning death on the cross.
- We believe that all mankind is spiritually fallen (Christ, alone, excepted), that they are sinners by nature, possessing a sinful heart and that the contagion of sin has infected the entire human condition (thoughts, motives, words and deeds), rendering all mankind guilty and helpless before a holy God. Thus, all men, apart from Christ, are incapable of any spiritual good that would earn them favor in the eyes of God, and they are transgressors of God's holy law and reside under divine wrath and the penalty of death (both spiritual and physical).
- We believe that the salvation of sinners was purchased by Christ through His death at Calvary when He, having been made sin for sinners, vicariously suffered in their place, satisfying the wrath of God in their stead, and that all who come to God through Jesus Christ by faith alone, confessing and repenting of their sins and relying wholly on Christ's finished work of redemption, are freely forgiven for Christ's sake, redeemed, reconciled and regarded as righteous. Thus we believe that salvation is by grace alone through faith alone because of Christ alone.
- We believe every person of the triune God played a decisive role in this plan of redemption: God the Father ordaining it and sending His Son to procure it, and God, the Holy Spirit, applying Christ's finished work by regenerating, sealing, indwelling and sanctifying every heir of eternal life.
- We believe that the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments are the authoritative, inerrant and inspired Word of God, and that they constitute the believer's only sufficient basis for faith and practice.
- We believe that due to the complexity of many contemporary issues confronting the church, there will be a multiplicity of responses on the part of believers. We may therefore not all agree on how to respond to these challenges. Therefore, it is vital for believers to regard one another with love in spite of our differences, to agree to disagree uncontentiously on certain issues and to pledge to one another not to speak ill of a brother or sister in Christ (or of anyone) with whom we may not agree. Let our guiding principle be: "In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity".